The Shell House Summer Artist Residency is an opportunity for 5-6 interdisciplinary artists to live and work together for two weeks in the Catskills. The Shell House is uniquely built to facilitate communal living and new modes of thinking in a quiet natural setting. Artists are invited to create, build, and imagine new works in the house and on the land with some restrictions (Permanent structures will need approval and no damage may be inflicted upon the house). By connecting interesting people from different disciplines and backgrounds, we hope to facilitate the creation of new networks and projects that wouldn’t have existed otherwise.
Who is this for?
The program, which takes place July 21 - August 5, is available to emerging visual artists, architectural designers, technologists, and installation artists who have at least some physical component to how their work manifests or is displayed (meaning, it is not purely digital). We also encourage creatives from other professional fields looking to deepen their art practice or develop a specific project to apply. By participating in the program, residents agree to leave one work of art or artifact to the Shell House, to be agreed upon reasonably by both parties depending on what your work is.
- Free lodging. There are 3 private rooms and a shared loft equipped with basic necessities and a small desk. The property itself is 5 acres including a large patio and lawn, as well as a small forested area.
- Group critique where participants are encouraged to discuss their work and share constructive feedback for others.
- Resources for connecting with the Catskills community, including mid-session artist studio visits.
- TBD: an exhibition in NYC.
What’s not included?
Residents must provide whatever they need for their own personal creative practice.
- Unless otherwise mentioned on the schedule, residents are required to provide their own meals and drinks.
- Separate studio spaces.
- Additional stipend for materials.
We will be accepting applications to our Summer 2018 program beginning February 1. Applications are free. Individuals or couples who are collaborators may apply. Residents are selected by a panel of working artists and designers based on the quality of their work, diversity considerations, and fit within the larger group.
Applications due February 1 - March 31
Residents selected by April 30
Program dates are July 21 - August 5
Applications are now closed.
Notification of acceptance will be given within 30 days of the application due date. Accepted applicants will have 14 days to commit to attending the residency.